No 9, El Borsa El Kadema Street, Raml Station
+2034881111
info@gr-alex.com
Book Now
Kom El Shuqqafa

[metaslider id=1913]

The Arab name “The Kom Ash Shuqqafa catacombs” comes from the ancient Greek words “Lofus Kiramaikos”, which means the “pile of shards”.

The Kom Ash Shuqqafa catacombs in Alexandria are found south-west from Pompeii’s pylon.

In the medieval times, these catacombs were considered among the Seven Wonders of the World.

The catacombs of Alexandria are different from other catacombs, from Paris and Lima, Peru, as an example, as no human remains is found here.

The Greek-Roman architecture of the catacombs is very complicated, so the structure of the main shaft is ingenious, as it allows the light to enter inside.

Throughout the years, the subterraneous waters entered inside, today being necessary for visitors to walk on wooden boards on certain areas so as not to step through water.

In these catacombs there are Roman details, blending with Egyptian and Greek ones, due to the period when they were built.

Some statues were created in an Egyptian style, their clothes and hairstyles being Roman, for example:

During the dynasty of the Nerva-Antonine emperors, the bodies of the dead were transported on a circular flight of stairs, towards the graves dug in the solid rock.

According to tradition, in catacombs there is a funerary room used to bury people and animals, killed at the order of the Emperor Caracalla, this room being called Caracalla’s Hall.

In this hall you can see a painting which represents the mummification of Osiris and Persephone’s kidnapping by Hades, a mixture of the Greek and Egyptian funerary myths.

Leave a Reply